New Orleans Police Chief Ronal Serpas today apologized for his department failing to disclose that one of his officers shot a man in the head earlier this week.
It came after the injured man's lawyer notified the media about the incident.
Attorney Nandi Campbell says her client is out of ICU, but remains in the hospital following the Monday shooting.
She calls it "very suspect" that police appear to have intentionally hidden the truth.
"When the NOPD went out to investigate the shooting, they didn’t tell the public that an officer fired shots," Campbell said.
"It’s a complete snafu on the part of my team," the chief said. "I take responsibility for it, I apologize for it."
He says he doesn’t want it to happen again.
The initial report in the NOPD Major Offense Log says, "Officer was in area, heard shots fired, had altercation with subject and sustained minor injury to right hand. The officer was taken to Tulane Hospital."
It wasn't until today that the NOPD issued a news release that states:
On Sunday, August 10, 2014, around 1:19 a.m., a Fourth District NOPD officer was conducting a traffic stop in the 3700 block of Mimosa Drive. During the traffic stop, the officer was injured and the suspect, 26-year-old Armand Bennett was shot.
Bennett was booked with five outstanding warrants, including Illegal Possession of a Weapon, Resisting an Officer (Gretna), Resisting an Officer (New Orleans), Possession of Marijuana and Criminal Damage to Property. He is currently in stable condition at a local hospital.
The officer suffered a minor contusion on the right hand, and was treated and released from a local hospital.
The Force Investigation Team, which is under the NOPD Public Integrity Bureau, is currently investigating the incident.
The Independent Police Monitor's office is investigating.
Spokeswoman Ursula Price said her office sent a representative to the scene of the crime, but was not aware of any injury to the officer.
The police monitor’s office is gathering evidence and plans to issue a report.