Water testing continues in St. Bernard Parish after amoeba scare
St. Bernard Parish officials say the water is safe to drink, after a rare and deadly brain-eating amoeba sparked new water safety regulations last year.
But, parish crews are continuing to treat the water system with free chlorine.
The parish began treating the water in September when it was learned a 4-year-old boy died after contracting the rare amoeba while playing on a slip-and-slide in Violet.
Water samples taken soon after by the Department of Health and Hospitals, revealed the deadly parasite was present at four different sites in the parish water system.
The state then required St. Bernard to raise the level of chlorine to double the new standard for 60 days.
Ray Lauga, District A, councilman and chairman of the water and sewer committee, says they've been testing the water several times a week and all the readings have been above the required chlorine level.
That 60-day period will end next week, on Jan. 22., when officials say they'll gradually begin reducing chlorine levels to the new standard.
Parish officials say they're also applying for a state loan program to replace old, cast-iron pipes, which should help them maintain the newly mandated chlorine levels in the future.