He is the father of the Who Dat Nation and the first QB to lead the New Orleans Saints to the playoffs. Yes, the 'Cajun Cannon' Bobby Hebert always has a lot to say, and he is strong in his opinions across the board. But like it or not, the fans, the players, coaches and yes the media too, all treat the CC like E.F. Hutton: When Bobby speaks, they listen!
So as we came back from a bit of a break, yesterday I talked to Bobby about what concerns him most as the Black and Gold begin training camp.
1. The defense has to improve: “They have to improve! You can’t be dead last. They won’t be dead last.” The Cajun Cannon says that the Saints have to improving in scoring defense. And the Black and Gold D has to force more field goals instead of giving up touchdowns.
2. You gotta protect Drew Brees: The left tackle position on offense is what the CC is speaking about as his #2 concern. For the first time since the 2009 season, the Saints will be looking for a new starting LT on offense. “I’m confident in all the other linemen and their experience. I think Zach Strief will bounce back and the middle of the line, Ben Grubbs will improve to.”
Bobby thinks training camp will produce the next starting LT. “Whoever it is, Charles Brown, Terron Armstead, they should welcome this challenge. And the reason why I say that is because Drew Brees will make those players better than they actually are.”
3. Who takes Victor Butler’s spot? Victor Butler was one of the more notable players the Saints acquired this off season. Butler was looking to have a breakout season, but the veteran pass rusher was injured during OTA’s and is out for the season. “They (Saints) were counting on Victor Butler. It’s a shame. But you have to have luck with injuries.” The Cannon sees another golden opportunity for someone to step up and make plays.
“You have to look at the glass half full. It’s a great opportunity for the likes of Junior Galette and Martez Wilson. Those guys were going to be in the rotation and now it’s about who’s going to step up.”
4. What will RB Mark Ingram do? “When you question, ‘who’s going to be the back…Who’s going to have that opportunity to get the bulk of the carries?’ I would be SHOCKED if that’s Pierre Thomas…Not that Pierre Thomas can’t do it, but I think they’re going to give Mark Ingram every opportunity to succeed. Now will he do it? I hope he does. We need to get our rushing attack back in the top ten. The year we won the Super Bowl, the year we won 13 games, we had the 6th best rushing attack.
5. Injuries and the Saints Secondary: With veteran S Roman Harper and CB Patrick “P-Rob” Robinson beginning the season on the PUP List, the Cajun One says that others have to come up big. “They know what they (Harper and P-Rob) can do. But you’ve got Kenny Vaccaro back there at safety along with Malcolm Jenkins. I think there is room for all three at safety.” The Cannon believes that the absence of Harper and Robinson to start the season makes the competition among the available players even more interesting as cam begins.
So there are five things to keep an eye on as the Saints being Training Camp. You can listen to the Cajun Cannon and Hokie Gajan give their professional take every day during Saints Training Camp right here on the home of the Black and Gold, WWL Radio.
Today on Sports Talk, live from Saints Training Camp: A live press conference starting at 5:30 with Saints Coach Sean Payton, General Manager Mickey Loomis, QB Drew Brees, and S Malcolm Jenkins.