Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Deke Bellavia: SEC Rankings
by Deke Bellavia,posted Oct 18 2013 11:12AM
1. Alabama 6-0 – The Tide are rolling and now it looks like a two game schedule left with a date against LSU. And, yes, the other team in Alabama is not too bad either. We could be in store for a good Iron Bowl this season. Last week Bamabeat Kentucky 48-7 / this week vs AR-Kansas.
2. LSU (6-1) – The Tigers defense allowed just 16 points in 240 yards of total offense in a big win over the Gators. Now, if the Tigers defense continues to improve, the Bayou Bengals are that much closer to becoming a complete team.Last week LSU beat Florida 17-6 / this week @ Ole Miss.
3. Texas A&M (5-1) – "Johnny Football" is healthy, after looking like he might have been hurt in the first half of last week's game against the Rebels. Now, an unexpected match-up of once beaten SEC West teams...with the uprising Tigers from the Plains in College Station. Last week A&M beat Ole Miss / this week vs Auburn.
4. South Carolina (5-1) – The Gamecocks are back in the SEC race and the national title picture. SC can run the table and land in ATL in the SEC Title Game. The winner of that game has played in the last seven national title games, you know! Last week the Gamecocks beat Arkansas 52-7 / this week @ Tennessee.
5. Missouri (6-0) –What a shame! The Tigers whipped the Puppies and then lost star QB James Franklin for over a month with an injury. Missouri would have had more than a fighting chance to run the table. But, without JF, it's going to be hard! Last week Missouri beat Georgia 41-26 / this week vs Florida.
6. Georgia (4-2) –UGA is reeling right now! This team is beat up badly and now they're in serious danger of being kicked out of the SEC East title chase. Lookout this week for a physical group in Music City USA! Last week the Bulldogs lost Missouri 41-26 / this week @ Vanderbilt.
7. Florida (4-2) – Other than Nick Saban, who else would you want running your defense besides Will Muschamp? In the WM era the Gators have lost only five games, when they allowed 24 points or less. With a little more offense these Gators could very well win the East. Last week Florida lost to LSU 17-6 / this week @ Missouri.
8. Auburn (5-1) – The Tigers crashed the SEC West party a year early. Don't look now, but Auburn has only one loss and they are in as good shape as anyone in the SEC West. A win in College Station is a must to stay in this lane! Last week Auburn beat Western Carolina 62-3 / this week @ Texas A&M.
Okay, so far I truly think these teams are all about even. You tell me among Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Arkansas...who is the best or better than the other? I could make a case for all of these teams being about even.
Ole Miss is reeling after winning their first three games; they are now 3-3. The Bullldogs barely got by Bowling Green. UK is dying for basketball season to get here. TheVols are improved, but by how much? And, the Hogs and Doors have kind of fallen by the wayside.