Take'em Down NOLA demands transparency in deciding removed monuments' future

Chris Miller
May 16, 2018 - 1:22 pm
Categories: 

As New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell's fledgling administration tries to find a new home for Confederate monuments removed last year, the group Take'em Down NOLA this morning called for a public process to help make that decision.

"As far as I'm concerned personally, they can be thrown in the Mississippi River, but that's not for me to decide," Take'em Down NOLA leader Malcolm Suber told WWL-TV. "What we are saying is there should be a public process and we are more than convinced that the majority of the people in this city don't want to see these white supremacy monuments returned."

The New Orleans Advocate reported Friday that the task force Cantrell formed to recommend what to do with the statues is made up almost entirely of people who opposed then-Mayor Mitch Landrieu's decision to remove the monuments.

Charles Marsala, one of the members of the task force, said he doesn't think the mayor was planning on listening exclusively to them:

"I think LaToya's trying to find a compromise here," said Marsala. "There's people on both extremes, there's people in the middle trying to work for a solution, and she reached out and said, 'give us your recommendations.'"

The monuments remain in storage while the Cantrell administration decides what to do with them.

Comments ()