Scoot: New Orleans is changing; let's make it the best it can be!
by Scoot,posted May 5 2014 9:00AM
Today, Mayor Mitch Landrieu, several City Council members and Sheriff Marlin Gusman are being sworn into office. As our city’s leadership takes the oath of office, it is a good time to think about what is good about New Orleans and what still needs to change.
As a New Orleans native who has had the opportunity to live and work in cities around the country, I have gained a greater appreciation of the uniqueness of New Orleans, but I have also come to realize that there has been a tendency to accept “the way we do things in New Orleans” and that can prevent striving for excellence.
Pride is incredibly positive – unless it stands in the way of recognizing what should change. When I moved back to New Orleans a few years ago, I noticed physical changes in the city, but it was the glimpse of a change in attitudes that was most impressive.
Hurricane Katrina was devastating, both physically and emotionally, and exposed a degree of local political incompetence to the nation. America also watched as the federal government proved that cities like New Orleans can easily be treated like stepchildren, and not receive the immediate attention that bigger cities would receive following a disaster. But from the depths of a low point, New Orleans proved to be a city with great character and perseverance.
Katrina was a turning point in the modern history of New Orleans. The national coverage of what this beloved city was dealing with also ignited a new found national love and interest in New Orleans. Many of those who came to help the city recover stayed and have contributed to a changing attitude, especially in the downtown area. Musicians who were already in love with New Orleans became even more passionate about the city.
New businesses, the construction of a major medical center and new growth in technology are all part of a thriving metropolitan area. Locally, those who live in the suburbs and only see the city through the daily news have a negative and jaded view of New Orleans, but that’s a view quite different from witnessing the daily progress throughout the city. Bad areas continue to be revitalized while encouraging neighborhood togetherness. Recent high profile corruption trials and the publicized suspension of police officers for wrongdoing cast a dark shadow over the acceptability of corruption, but the shadow comes from the light the represents a positive change in the tolerance of the status quo.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu is being sworn in for a second term while a former mayor awaits a prison term – a stark contrast of the past and the present direction of New Orleans. The Mayor brought a fresh, positive attitude into City Hall and continues to lead the city in a positive direction.
Mayors, however, cannot solve all of a city’s problems. The mayor can work toward putting more police on the street and demand honest leadership in City Hall and the police department. But a mayor cannot solve the crime problems that are the direct result of poor parenting and a systemic problem of communities protecting the young criminals that live among them. There does seem to be positive progress in convincing communities that the young thugs they protect are most likely to hurt them and there is a sense of more community cooperation with NOPD – but it must continue.
Too often citizens look to the politicians in office to solve problems that can only be solved by individuals and communities. New Orleans appears to have the right leadership at the right time, but that alone will not make this a great city.
The lifestyle of the culture and atmosphere of New Orleans are envied, but those who visit our city have a good time and return to their home. We should take more pride in making our city a better home for those of us who love living here.
We could do a better job of demanding excellence from ourselves. As citizens and voters we must hold all elected politicians accountable to the point where they know we will vote them out of office for accepting the past corruption and shady deals as “that’s the way it is in New Orleans.” We must demand that out city do a better job with its money. It is sad that as a tourist destination, New Orleans is an incredible success – but yet our city is broke.
We must bond as communities and be vigilant against crime and youthful behavior that is the symptom of future criminal behavior.
As a city, we should understand that even the seemingly insignificant things are part of a bigger problem. The acceptance of throwing cigarette butts out of car windows or on the sidewalk throughout the downtown area where tourists roam should no longer be tolerated and it shouldn’t take passing a law to change that casual and accepted practice of littering.
No mayor is perfect, but the city is thriving in many important areas under the leadership of Mitch Landrieu, who fits a new mold for what we should all expect from city leadership. Granted, Mitch Landrieu is a politician, but he appears to be a politician who is building a reputation on advancing the city forward, rather than taking advantage of opportunities of personal gain.
Mayor Landrieu reflects a changing New Orleans – a city that is changing, in part, because of new life that has adopted our city as their own. We should never change the great things about our culture, but we should no longer tolerate as normal the things we should change.
From the perspective of Bourbon Street looking toward the downtown area – the visual of the old facades of the historic French Quarter buildings and the backdrop of the tall modern skyscrapers instantly reminds us that New Orleans is forever struggling with preservation and progress. We must progress as a city – while protecting the precious history of one of America’s most beloved cities.
We should not congratulate Mayor Landrieu and the other city officials who are being sworn into today – let’s hold the congratulations at the end of their mission to help make New Orleans the best city it can be!
Scoot: New Orleans is changing; let's make it the best it can be!
Please Enter Your Comments Below
the New Orleans Police Department
Everyone seems to believe that the mayor is doing a great job in rebuilding our city. However what he has hidden very well is the demise and destruction of the city's police department. Each of the eight police districts only have about three police officers working per shift for that district, which means when you have an emergency; they are not coming as quickly asyou would like. Yet no one mentions this. Why? If you dial 911, will anyone answer? It has been shown that they may not. This city is not safe for anyone anymore.
Baby moon and scoot
scoot has a crush on liberal baby moon since he loves Hollywood types. the city is full of filth,crime, bad politicians, bad education. Lets tell the real truth
three ring circus
city politicians use vaudeville tricks to sell this poor crime ridden city
After Hurricane Katrina, liberal media attention focused on the reduced violent crime rate following the exodus of many New Orleanians. That trend is beginning to reverse itself as more people return to the city, although calculating the homicide rate remains difficult given that no authoritative source can cite a total population figure. The thugs are back and multiplying. Sad it will take another flood to get rid of the human debris. Guess the Noah thing work—drown the debris and start over.
Katrina merely lifted the rock off all the roaches under it.
Urban areas are ruled by liberalism and thus, are sewers.
If you do not excuse violence by blacks and/or deviant behavior by homosexuals you are a racist.
Scoot's next rant.
Scoot has a hard-on for the Landrieus.
It is not complicated.
If you don't like New Orleans.. LEAVE!
Looks like the leftist troll is soiling himself again. LOL.
Hey, Left-Nut Troll Boy lots of folks have already left. New Orleans is not a good place to live just to visit. Too many Obama Zombies—human debris.
Scoot voted for the Lying Piece of Cràp Obama.
So of course he embraces the liberal sewer New Orleans.
Funny to watch the excrement living in the New Orleans cesspool go ape.
Need a good long rain ... LOL.
Funny that Scoot promotes his show saying that disagreement is a good thing.
Scoot is actually very thin-skinned and goes into a rage when people do not suçk up to his world view.
More Racists Get Their Due
Gil Voigt was a science teacher at Fairfield Freshman School outside Cincinnati for 13 years, until he told an African-American student, who “professed his desire to follow in the footsteps of President Obama” that “we do not need another black president.”
The student immediately reported Voigt’s comment and the school board voted to suspend him without pay. Voigt also lost his position as the high school’s head golf coach, and a part-time job refereeing basketball games.
Washington taught us that all leaders no matter how great are disposable. Sad we do not currently have a leader in the White House in which to dispose—we do have a clown.
You can’t make this stuff up ... Liberals are so stupid and Whacko ...
Obama Supporters: Not Liking Mexican Food is Racist
Obama is a racist and liar of the worst kind.
Funny that calling everyone who does not desire to suçk Obama’s diçk is all the DEmWITS have left. LOL Liberals are such human débris.
Mike Wallace is a racist
"Blacks and Hispanics are too busy eating watermelons and tacos to learn how to read and write." -- Mike Wallace, CBS News
Bill Clinton is a racist.
"The only reason you are endorsing him is because he's black. Let's just be clear." -- Former President Bill Clinton
Gil Voigt did the ignorant black boy a favor. What sane person
would want to grow up to be a liar and charlatan. No wonder so many black youth fail in life.
Joe Biden is a racist.
I mean, you got the first mainstream African American [Barack Obama] who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice looking guy." -- Sen. Joseph Biden 2006
Harry Reid is a racist.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described in private then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."
Planned Parenthood founded by a racist and still a racist organization.
We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population, and the minister is the man who can straighten out that idea if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members."
Sanger and her brand of fanatic Eugenicists were often courted and praised by the KKK. When speaking of the Klu Klux Klan in her autobiography, Sanger stated:
"I accepted an invitation to talk to the women's branch of the Ku Klux Klan...I saw through the door dim figures parading with banners and illuminated crosses...I was escorted to the platform, was introduced, and began to speak...In the end, through simple illustrations I believed I had accomplished my purpose. A dozen invitations to speak to similar groups were proffered."
Currently, 78% of all Planned Parenthood offices are located in predominantly black or minority neighborhoods. Three out of five black women go through with abortion , over 1700 black children are aborted each day, and over 13 million since 1973.
Hillary Cinton is a racist.
Mahatma Gandhi "ran a gas station down in Saint Louis."
-Senator Hillary Clinton
Hillary Clinton is a mean racist.
"You f*cking Jew b@stard." -- Hillary Clinton to political operative Paul Fray. This was revealed in "State of a Union: Inside the Complex Marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton" and has been verified by Paul Fray and three witnesses.
USA Today is racist.
"There's no great, white bigot; there's just about 200 million little white bigots out there." -- USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux
New Orleans is full of ignorant black racist.
Democrats love racism and spewing hate ..
It is all they have. We can thank Obama for once again demonstrating the complete and utter FAILURE of liberalism. All the HATE Obama and his zombies have spewed over the past five years is coming back at them.
You will never see the clown Scoot write a blog ripping a black
like Spike Lee for being a racist. Scoot excuses black racism and hate as do all in the left-nut media. Lee works for the NBA. If you are black, you can say all manner of vile things and your words are celebrated. No wonder many do not take blacks seriously or respect them. They are held to such low standards.
Sad that most blacks choose to live on the Democrat Plantation ...
slaves to white liberals and their lap dog black politicians.
The election of Obama merely emboldened black racists to come out of the closet.
Eric Holder has been the leader of black racism and has abused his office and broken the laws he is sworn to enforce. The rise of black racism is not going to end well for anyone.
Amazing that so many folks want to be victims.
Whatever your race, you can choose to pursue a goal, learn skill set, work hard and make a living and a life. Sitting around blaming racism for your own choice to be làzy, scréw around and make a child you cannot care for, join a gang, waste your time in school being a pûnk rather than learning, just confirms you are a moron and deserve to fail. Urban areas are where most losers live and leftist politician cater to them to get votes and thus, cities become bankrupt and places any productive person would not want to live and raise family. Perhaps only do business or visit on vacation and then leave. The losers have made their bed and imprisoned their results of sex activities to a life of misery. Why any political party would celebrate and fund this is beyond logic. Sorry, but you folks that follow politicians and preachers that tell you that you cannot make it without them are stupid and deserve the poverty that you end up with. Hàting blacks who succeed and calling whites racist will not change your situation. You will still be ignorant and poor. Your choice.
The media that panders and excuses bad behavior by blacks is not
doing them any favors. Holding blacks to low standards is the worst form of racism. Human natures seeks the easy way in the moment so many blacks often bow to the low standards as though they are getting favor or something free. Sad for them.
Dude ... nice words, but demanding excellence from blacks is racist.
at least that is what Obama tells us.
The Democrat Party is the headquarters of Racism in America.
Hate is a major political party.
GOP committee on Benghazi has no set spending limit. GOP is hypocritical on spending. They don't want money spent on people but investigations, witch hunts, corporate handouts and pork is all good.
Hey "Fiscal Responsibility" Clown ...
try to get some rest. Staying up all night watching reruns of Obama speeches is not good. An eréction lasting longer than four hours is not healthy.
If a Republican had scréwed their ambassador and lied about it
the left-nut press would be droning on for months ...Fuçk you piece of SH!T democrats ... GO TO HELL BIOTCHES!!!
Dem Fools ..
The danger to America is not Barrack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with no accomplishment or qualification to give any hint that he would or could execute the duties of the world,s most important job..
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of this President than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved uneducated electorate looking for handouts thus willing to elect such unqualified men for their president.
The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America . Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
The Republic can survive a Barrack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those who made him their president.
If Republicans had
Spent millions on 2 questionable wars and lost many American lives more than Benghazi, we'd call it.. the war on "terror." And the erection thing got old after the 2nd time you posted it 20 blogs ago. Get some new material.
Obama LIES about everything only a total dumb-àss would believe Obama.
The liberal troll here prays to the àsshole Obama seven times a day ... LOL.
Democrats are leeches.
"If Republicans had" YOU believe Obama ... LOL .... you are human debris. You are a swine. You are a vulgar little maggot. You are a worthless bag of filth. As we say in Texas, you couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel. You are a canker, an open wound. I would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you. You took your last vacation in the Islets of Langerhans.
The piéce of SH!T "If Republicans had" never had any material ... LOL.
Hope this clown dies in a car wreck soon ... HA!
Scooter’s boyfriend defends his lover.
How sweet. The þutt sex boy chimes in.
Obama is an incompetent clown that has set blacks back 100 years.
The DemWITS will get their sorry àsses kicked in November.
Obama LIES and FAILURE.
Passing on the keystone pipeline.
Touts a Green Energy Company as exemplary that fails a year later.
Using the Gulf Oil Spill to promote Green Energy – instead of cleaning it up.
Thinking the Tea Party is a passing fad – or that they are racists.
Pulling out of Iraq with no clear victory over insurgent forces.
Trying to re-write history through speeches – with inaccurate information (i.e. Statue of Liberty)
Getting a Nobel Prize for being the most ineffective President in the history of the United States, though some say it was for his pigment.
Putting all legislation on the Internet for five days before it comes to a vote.
Returning the bust of Churchill to the Brits.
Giving a collection of DVDs to the British PM.
Denying the notion of American Exceptionalism.
Promising to close Gitmo — failing to do so.
Securing the Olympics for Chicago in 2016.
Naming numerous Communists/Socialists/Progressives to his various Czar positions and then watching them scurry for cover when Beck begins to call them out, forcing them to resign.
Government races for NJ, VA and the Senate Seat in Mass.
The midterm elections, which Obama himself called a shellacking.
Prediction that stimulus would ensure that unemployment doesn’t exceed 8%.
Bowing to just about everybody.
Proposing amnesty for illegal aliens to increase the population of voters for Democrat elections.
He said, I have visited 57 states. Now there is just 1 left to visit.
Obama to Medvedev…give me space I will have more flexibility after my election.
Obama will end up on the trash heap of history ... he can only hope he goes the way of Kennedy, if he seeks to remain a somewhat sympathetic figure. I would rather he end up in the trash where he belongs.
Looks like the leftist troll has been up all night
fuçking his Obama Blow-Up Doll ... LOL
Obama is at Two Dozen Scandals and Counting
1. IRS targets Obama’s enemies: The IRS targeted conservative and pro-Israel groups prior to the 2012 election. Questions are being raised about why this occurred, who ordered it, whether there was any White House involvement and whether there was an initial effort to hide who knew about the targeting and when.
2. Benghazi: This is actually three scandals in one:
The failure of administration to protect the Benghazi mission.
The changes made to the talking points in order to suggest the attack was motivated by an anti-Muslim video
The refusal of the White House to say what President Obama did the night of the attack
3. Watching the AP: The Justice Department performed a massive cull of Associated Press reporters’ phone records as part of a leak investigation.
4. Rosengate: The Justice Department suggested that Fox News reporter James Rosen is a criminal for reporting about classified information and subsequently monitored his phones and emails.
5. Potential Holder perjury I: Attorney General Eric Holder told Congress he had never been associated with “potential prosecution” of a journalist for perjury when in fact he signed the affidavit that termed Rosen a potential criminal.
6. The ATF “Fast and Furious” scheme: Allowed weapons from the U.S. to “walk” across the border into the hands of Mexican drug dealers. The ATF lost track of hundreds of firearms, many of which were used in crimes, including the December 2010 killing of Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.
7. Potential Holder Perjury II: Holder told Congress in May 2011 that he had just recently heard about the Fast and Furious gun walking scheme when there is evidence he may have known much earlier.
8. Sebelius demands payment: HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius solicited donations from companies HHS might regulate. The money would be used to help her sign up uninsured Americans for ObamaCare.
9. The Pigford scandal: An Agriculture Department effort that started as an attempt to compensate black farmers who had been discriminated against by the agency but evolved into a gravy train delivering several billion dollars in cash to thousands of additional minority and female farmers who probably didn’t face discrimination.
10. GSA gone wild: The General Services Administration in 2010 held an $823,000 training conference in Las Vegas, featuring a clown and a mind readers. Resulted in the resignation of the GSA administrator.
11. Veterans Affairs in Disney World: The agency wasted more than $6 million on two conferences in Orlando. An assistant secretary was fired.
12. Sebelius violates the Hatch Act: A U.S. special counsel determined that Sebelius violated the Hatch Act when she made “extemporaneous partisan remarks” during a speech in her official capacity last year. During the remarks, Sebelius called for the election of the Democratic candidate for governor of North Carolina.
13. Solyndra: Republicans charged the Obama administration funded and promoted its poster boy for green energy despite warning signs the company was headed for bankruptcy. The administration also allegedly pressed Solyndra to delay layoff announcements until after the 2010 midterm elections.
14. AKA Lisa Jackson: Former EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson used the name “Richard Windsor” when corresponding by email with other government officials, drawing charges she was trying to evade scrutiny.
15. The New Black Panthers: The Justice Department was accused of using a racial double standard in failing to pursue a voter intimidation case against Black Panthers who appeared to be menacing voters at a polling place in 2008 in Philadelphia.
16. Waging war all by myself: Obama may have violated the Constitution and both the letter and the spirit of the War Powers Resolution by attacking Libya without Congressional approval.
17. Biden bullies the press: Vice President Biden’s office has repeatedly interfered with coverage, including forcing a reporter to wait in a closet, making a reporter delete photos, and editing pool reports.
18. AKPD not A-OK: The administration paid millions to the former firm of then-White House adviser David Axelrod, AKPD Message and Media, to promote passage of Obamacare. Some questioned whether the firm was hired to help pay Axelrod $2 million AKPD owed him.
19. Sestak, we’ll take care of you: Former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel used Bill Clinton as an intermediary to probe whether former Rep. Joe Sestak (D-Pa.) would accept a prominent, unpaid White House advisory position in exchange for dropping out of the 2010 primary against former Sen. Arlen Specter (D-Pa.).
20. I’ll pass my own laws: Obama has repeatedly been accused of making end runs around Congress by deciding which laws to enforce, including the decision not to deport illegal immigrants who may have been allowed to stay in the United States had Congress passed the “Dream Act.”
21. The hacking of Sharyl Attkisson’s computer: It’s not clear who hacked the CBS reporter’s computer as she investigated the Benghazi scandal, but the Obama administration and its allies had both the motive and the means to do it.
22. An American Political Prisoner: The sudden decision to arrest Nakoula Basseley Nakoula on unrelated charges after protests in the Arab world over his anti-Muslim video is an extraordinarily suspicious coincidence. “We’re going to go out and we’re going to prosecute the person that made that video,” Hillary Clinton allegedly told the father of one of the ex-SEALs killed in Banghazi.
23. Get rid of inconvenient IGs: Corporation for National and Community Service Inspector General Gerald Walpin was fired in 2009 as he fought wasteful spending and investigated a friend of Obama’s, Sacramento Mayor and former NBA player Kevin Johnson. The White House says Walpin was incompetent.
24. Influence peddling: An investigation is underway of Alejandro Mayorkas, director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, who has been nominated by Obama for the number two post at the Department of Homeland Security. Mayorkas may have used his position to unfairly obtain U.S. visas for foreign investors in company run by Hillary Clinton’s brother, Anthony Rodman.
Only creates 35 permanent jobs. REPUBLICAN property owners in Nebraska and elsewhere don't want it. This is not an Obama issue, this is an issue of citizens not wanting to be forced into something by a foreign corporation. But of course, the GOP doesn't respect property rights when an oil company is involved.