High school football championships get going in the Dome
The 2013 Prep Classic kicks off in the Superdome today as nine teams will be crowned state champions in football over the next three days. In previous years, five teams went home with a championship trophy. LHSAA Executive Director Kenny Henderson says the 18 teams that made it to the dome are happy to be here.
"We're going to have nine state champions this year that are all going to be very deserving champions," Henderson said. "They played by the rules that the principals of the state laid out for them. They beat the people who they needed to beat to be here."
Henderson says the new system has paved the way for seven schools to play in their first ever state championship game.
The action gets underway today at 12:30 with the Division III championship. The first of three games will also kickoff at 12:30 on Friday and noon on Saturday.
• Division III – 12:30PM Archbishop Hanna vs. Calvary Baptist (WWL.com)
• Division II – 4:30PM John Curtis vs. University Lab (WWL.com)
• Division I – 8:30PM Archbishop Rummel vs. C.E. Byrd (WWL AM & FM and WWL.com)
• Class 1A – 12:30PM Haynesvill vs. Mangham (WWL.com)
• Class 2A – 4:30PM Many vs. Kinder (WWL.com)
• Class 3A – 8:30PM Livonia vs. Union Parish (WWL AM & FM and WWL.com)
• Division IV – 12:00PM Vermillion Catholic vs. St. Frederick (WWL.com)
• Class 4A – 4:00PM East Jefferson vs. Edna Karr (WWL.com)
• Class 5A – 8:00PM Acadiana vs. Parkway (WWL AM & FM and WWL.com)
St. Tammany and Louisiana are booming economically primarily because of cheap natural gas. This means sometimes drilling in your backyard. ' Would you say 'not in my backyard' if it meant taking money & jobs out of the economy?