Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Deke's SEC Rankings
by Deke Bellavia,posted Oct 12 2013 7:47AM
1. Alabama 5-0 – The Tide are rolling and now it looks like a two game schedule left with a date against LSU and yes the other team in Alabama is not too bad either. We could be in store for a good Iron Bowl this season. Last week beat Georgia State 45-3 / this week @ Kentucky.
2. Georgia (4-1) – The Bulldogs got a scare and got to be Lucky Dogs in their 34-31 overtime win over The Vols from Rocky Top. Hey, luck counts in the SEC. It should count twice sometimes! Last week beat Tennessee 34-31OT / this week vs Missouri
3. LSU (5-1) – The Tigers exploded for four 4th quarter TD’s in their 59-26 win over Mississippi State. People keep waiting for the LSU Offense to be stopped, which it may not be. And those same folks keep waiting for the LSU defense to get better, which it may not. Go figure! Here come the Gators. Last week beat Mississippi State 59-26 / this week vs Florida.
4. Texas A&M (4-1) – Johnny Football is well rested for a stretch run and it begins this week in Oxford against the slumping Rebels. Last week off / this week @ Ole Miss.
5. South Carolina (4-1) – The Gamecocks are a team that is now beginning to show their family problems. And when family squabbles are made public it usually ain’t too good. Is Clowney really hurt or just CLOWNing around? Ha ha ha I mades a funny! I’m thinking that the Cocks are primed for an upset! Last week beat Kentucky 35-28 / this week @ Arkansas.
6. Missouri (5-0) – The other James Franklin went off on the other James Franklin. Hey make no bones about it. If you’re 5-0 and you play in the SEC you deserved to be ranked. Now the Tigers can really shake up the SEC and the BCS with a road win over UGA this week in Athens. Last week beat Vanderbilt 51-28 / this week @ Georgia.
7. Florida (4-1) – No one, and I mean no one, is talking about the Gators. Is due to the fact that Florida’s strength is on the defensive side of the football? You know the Gators schedule could allow them to be the best in the league? If they run the table of course. Last week beat Arkansas 30-10 / this week @ LSU.
8. Auburn (4-1) – If folks want someone to give Alabama a tougher schedule, it starts with Auburn being better right? Well, this Tigers team is much better and they could make things tough on the rest of the league this season. Last week beat Ole Miss 30-2 / this week vs Western Carolina.
Ok so far I truly think these teams are all about even. I mean you tell me among Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Arkansas who is the best or better than the other? I could make a case for all of these teams being about even.
I’ll say that the above for mentioned teams a few steps ahead of Kentucky, but the Wildcats have not played bad at all this season. Now we will see how many of these teams in this group can become better and bowl eligible.
lsu still has to beat Alabama or they are out of the sec championship-
I have to say this, is our defense plays like it did today and our offence keeps playing like it has been. It could be a long day for the TIDE. I know it will be a very good game and may the best team win.