Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Deke Bellavia: CFB TOP 10 - Week #15
by Deke Bellavia,posted Dec 10 2013 3:36PM
The Sugar Bowl just overnighted a package of gumbo, beignets and keys to the Big Easy to Bowling Green. The Sugar Bowl will get a good match-up for the first time in a long time as the Sooners of Oklahoma will battle the Crimson Tide of Alabama. Had Northern Illinois beaten Bowling Green, the Huskies would have more than likely been in the Sugar.
The Spartans are welcomed to do as they want in Auburn whenever they want…the Noles are back in the BCS Title Game. And the volume of Pepto Bismal sold in Tuscaloosa hit an all-time high last week.
Here is my TOP 10 for week #15.
1. Florida State - (13-0) – The team that played in the first 3 BCS Title Games will play in the last one. Did you know the Seminoles are 1-2 in BCS championships including 0-1 vs the SEC? Last week Florida State beat Duke in ACC Title Game 45-7 / next BCS Title Game vs Auburn.
2. Auburn Tigers (12-1) – Auburn entered the 2013 season on a 10 game SEC losing streak. Now they’re on their way back to the National Title Game for the second time in four years. “In Gus we trust” down on the Plains. Last week Auburn beat Missouri 59-42 in SEC Title Game / next BCS Title Game against FSU.
3. Michigan State (12-1) – If this were 2015, the MSU Spartans would be in a four team playoff. Defense wins championships. This team is living proof! Last week Michigan State beat Ohio State 34-24 in Big Ten Title Game / next vs Stanford in the Rose Bowl.
4. Alabama (11-1) – Does winning 3 out of the last 4 National Title Games feel better than feeling terrible? For the last two weeks Tide fans have had to endure reliving the most dreaded play in Alabama football history. I’m quite sure some of that rolled toilet tissue from Toomers Corner can be used to wipe away those tears! This week…still crying! Next up vs Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.
5. Baylor Bears (12-1) – The Big XII Title and a berth in a BCS Bowl is huge. But nothing compares to being the state champion in Texas! Yes, everything is bigger in Texas. Last week Baylor beat Texas 30-10 / next up Fiesta Bowl vs Central Florida.
6. Ohio State (12-1) – The worst feeling in life is knowing you had something and you lost it! However, an even worst feeling is thinking you had something and you never really did? Either way the Buckeyes blew it. Or the correct analogy would be that the Spartans took it from the Nuts. Last week Ohio State lost to Michigan State 34-24 / next up Orange Bowl vs Clemson.
7. Stanford Cardinal (11-2) – The most dominant program in the PAC-12 is now going back to the Rose Bowl. Hey youngsters--you can be smart, you can be good and have a title caliber program. This is it! Last week Stanford beat Arizona State 38-14 in Pac 12 Title Game / next Rose Bowl vs Michigan State.
8. Missouri Tigers (11-2) – Yes, they gave up a record number of points and yards in the SEC Title Game. But, they deserved to be there. Now the Tigers can finish the season with a bowl win and work on being a consistent power in the SEC East. Last week Missouri lost the SEC Championship to Auburn / next AT&T Cotton Bowl vs Oklahoma State.
9. Oklahoma State Cowboys (10-2) – The Pokes’ Coach Mike Gundy has officially become the John Cooper of Stillwater. You remember ole Coop, when he was coach of the Buckeyes? Coop would win all his games except the one against Michigan. Well, move over Cooper…here’s Mikey! Gundy has built the Ok. State Program into a powerful one, but he is now 1-8 against that team from Norman. Damn, Damn, Damn. Last week Oklahoma Staste lost to Oklahoma 33-24 / up AT&T Cotton Bowl vs Missouri.
10. South Carolina Gamecocks (10-2) – Hey, an 11 win season is not bad at all for this Gamecocks Program. Next up the Capital One Bowl against Wisconsin in Orlando.