Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Big Chief's College Top Ten, Week 12
by Deke Bellavia,posted Nov 22 2011 8:01AM
Personally I think the best four teams in college football are from the mighty SEC. Do I have to even explain the top three? Hell no! And when a team from the nation’s toughest group wins nine straight, I’d dare to say dat team is pretty damn salty too. Those UGA Dogs could really make this season more drama-filled than the “What’s Going Down” episode from “That’s My Mamma!” (Now I bit that off of “Coming to America,” but it’s impressive isn’t it? Let’s take a look at my College Top Ten as we enter the final two weeks of the season!
1. LSU (11-0) – The Tigers deserve to lose one and still go to the national title game, right? They should. Everyone else has. A win over the Hogs should give LSU a shot at the national title regardless of what goes down in the ATL…If they get there! Last week beat Ole Miss 52-3 / this week vs AR-Kansas
2. Alabama (10-1) – Alabama is sitting pretty this week and could give the state of Alabama a national champ for the third straight year. The Tide did not play well against Georgia Southern, but you can best bet they will be ready this week on the Plains. What if Auburn w-? Don’t say it! Could the all-mighty ole St. Nick from Tuscaloosa lose to the War Eagles two straight years? Oh no, say it ain’t so! If that does happen little Nicky will feel more heat from the Tide Nation than he ever has! Last week beat Georgia Southern 45-21 / this week @ Auburn.
3. Arkansas (10-1) – Tyler Wilson, Joe Adams, the list goes on and on offense. But I’ve been telling you all season long the Hogs defense is not bad. And with Bobby Petrino calling plays, the Arkansas Defense can give up some points. A berth in the BCS Title Game and not the SEC Title Game is on the line this Friday in Baton Rouge. Say what? Please believe it! Last week beat Mississippi State 44-17 / this week @ LSU.
4. Virginia Tech (10-1) – Frank Beamer once again has his Hokies in the national scene. Tech still needs some help, but first things first. It’s an upstart Wahoo Team this week in the battle of Va.! Last week beat North Carolina 24-21 / this week @ Virginia.
5. Oklahoma State (10-1) – Not many teams could ever lose on the road as a thirty point favorite and still have an outside shot to climb back to the title game. That’s because everyone that needed to lose just about did after the boys blew it in Ames last Friday Night! Oh well, beat the Boomer Sooners and that will satisfy the fan base and even T-Boone! Last week got beat by Iowa State 37-31 in overtime / vs Oklahoma December 3rd.
6. Georgia (9-2) – The Buldogs had a “dog fight” of a game against those scrappy Cats from Lexington. Now rival Tech is on the slate before the SEC Title Game. This team is hot! Now if they can stop the option, many may claim they could become the best team in the nation. Yes, even with two losses! Last week beat Kentucky 19-10 / this week @ Georgia Tech.
7. Stanford (10-1) – How Lucky can you get? Andrew Lucky that’s how much! The senior QB’s last name and his play has the Cardinal back in the picture. Even if Stanford is standing way back in the picture, they are still in it! Last week beat Cal 31-28 / this week vs Notre Dame.
8. Houston (11-0) – The Cougars are in great position to be in a BCS Bowl…But don’t slip up. And hey H-Town, do us all a favor: Don’t get your brains beat in when you face a real team. Please don’t! Last week beat SMU 37-7 / this week @ Tulsa.
9. Boise State (9-1) – Could Boise still earn a berth in a BCS Bowl? Absolutely! If Houston slips down the stretch and the Broncos keep winning, they will be playing in one of dem high pay out bowls! Last week beat San Diego State 52-35 / this week vs Wyoming.
10. Oregon (9-2) – The Ducks are out of the Big Easy Bowl Sweepstakes but can lick their wounds with a win over the Beavers from Corvallis and still play in the Rose Bowl. Wow, talk about a team that blew it! But they’ve done that before, haven’t they? Last lost Southern California 38-35 / this week vs Oregon State.