Last week South Carolina jumped a huge hurdle in a road win over Georgia while the Tide of Alabama did the same on the road against Penn State. This week the Tigers of Baton Rouge head to Starkvegas to face an angry Bulldogs Team, while the best matchup looks like the ‘Noles and the Sooners in the Sunshine State. Here are my top ten teams as we enter the third week of the 2011 CFB Season.
1. Alabama (2-0) – The Tide Defense held the Lions in check last week, and quarterback A.J. McCarron did a nice job of managing the game. The Tide running back combination of Richardson and Lacy will be even more dangerous as the season continues! Last week beat Penn State 27-11 / this week vs North Texas
2. Oklahoma (1-0) – The Sooners have two weeks to get ready for a visit to Florida State in a huge early season showdown in the Sunshine State. The loser of this game will have to climb their way back to the top of the ladder to get back in contention! Last week off / this week @ Florida State.
3. LSU (2-0) – The Tigers flexed their muscles against in-state foe Northwestern State, 49-3. But how will the Tigers respond to a very short week and a Thursday night date with the Bulldogs of Starkvegas? This could be a fun one. Last week beat Northwestern State 49-3 / this week @ Mississippi State.
4. Florida State (2-0) – The ‘Noles have eaten two cupcakes in their first two games, outscoring ULM and Charleston Southern a combined 96-10. Quarterback E.J. Manuel looked sharp, throwing for 329 yards and 4 touchdowns last week. However, the Sooners will be a much tougher challenge. Last week beat Charleston Southern 62-10 / this week vs Oklahoma.
5. Oklahoma State (2-0) – The Cowboys showed improvement against a much tougher foe in their 37-14 win over Arizona last week. Don’t fall asleep this week against an offensive-minded Tulsa Club that can score on anyone! Last week beat Arizona 37-14 / this week @ Tulsa.
6. Boise State (1-0) – The Broncos beat Georgia 35-21, then took the week off. Could these Broncos be in trouble this week against an upstart Toledo Team? Lose to the Rockets and you’re out! Last week off / this week @ Toledo.
7. Texas A&M (1-0) – The Aggies had the weekend off, and now get another shot to get better against Idaho. But then, things get much tougher as the Oklahoma State Cowboys come calling in two weeks. Last week off / this week vs Idaho.
8. South Carolina (2-0) – The Gamecocks defense came up huge in Athens between the hedges last week with a 45-42 win over the Bulldogs. Two defensive scores and the running of Mr. Lattimore are an excellent combination. Look for these Gamecocks to roll over Navy this week. Last week beat Georgia 45-42 / this week vs Navy.
9. Virginia Tech (2-0) – The Hokies looked bad against East Carolina, but Coach Frank Beamer did pick up his 200th win! Two fumbles and twelve penalties will make any team look bad every time. Look for the Hokies to iron things out this week as they host Arkansas State. Last week beat East Carolina 17-10 / this week vs Arkansas State.
10. Nebraska (2-0) – The Huskers got all they could handle from the Fresno State Bulldogs. A late Taylor Martinez touchdown sealed the Huskers’ 42-29 win over FSU. However the Cornhuskers defense gave up 169 yards rushing to the Bulldogs Robbie Rouse. Uhhh! Last week beat Fresno State 42-29 / this week vs Washington.