Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Big Chief?s College Top 10
by Deke Bellavia,posted Oct 6 2013 10:38PM
The season is getting more interesting by the minute. What happens if the Tide run the table and so does Oregon, Ohio State and Clemson? I could make a case for each one of those and why they should be in the national title game. With that said…man look at what’s coming up this week. Florida is at LSU and UNDEFEATED Missouri is at Georgia. A battle of Ducks and Huskies is in the Pac-12 while the Cardinal faces a tough road trip to Utah. Man, I’ll bet Bob Stoops is saying, hell if those Missouri Tigers can be undefeated in the SEC, I know we could! Here’s my top 10 for this week.
1. Alabama (5-0) – The Tide had the week off in a 45-3 win over Georgia State. However, it’s hard to go 15-of-16 against air. QB A.J. McCarron was on fire and he’s playing lights-out right now. Folks, looks like the Tide will get another crack at another national title. Last week beat Georgia State 45-3 / this week @ Kentucky.
2. Oregon (5-0) – Ducks QB Marcus Mariota accounted for seven total TDs, including five passing scores in the Ducks’ blowout of the Buffalos. WR Bralon Addison hauled in five receptions for 158 yards and two scores. Now, a tough road test appears on the schedule with a trip to face the Huskies! Last week beat Colorado 57-16 / this week @ Washington
3. Clemson (5-0) – The Tigers are clicking on all cylinders right now. I’ve got to be honest…if it comes down to Clemson, Oregon and Ohio State being undefeated to face Alabama in the title game, I’m not sure I would go with anyone but these Tigers. QB Tajh Boyd threw for 455 yards and 5 TD’s in a win over the Orange. With two deadly WR’s in Sammy Watkins and Adam Humphries, among others, the Tigers are awfully hard to defend. Hey, they might need much defense to win it all! Last week beat Syracuse 49-14 / this week vs Boston College.
4. Ohio State (6-0) – Their QB got slowed down, yet they still came up with a big road win. The Buckeyes beat the Wildcats 40-30, but those who watched the game understand that it was much closer than the score. RB Carlos Hyde went off averaging 6.5 yards per attempt with 1658 yards and three TD’s. I’m telling you out there, if this team wins 24 straight regular season games and the Big 10 title game, that would bring their streak to 25 wins in a row, there is no way in hell that the Buckeyes will not be in the national title game. No way! Last week beat Northwestern 40-30 / this week vs Iowa.
5. Florida State (5-0) – The Noles are for real. Maryland had a very good offense and got goose egged by FSU. You had to realize that with the talented players that FSU lands that this program would once again rise. Now an extra week to prepare for the biggest game in recent memory takes place as the Noles head to Death Valley to face Clemson. FSU has the best young player in CFB right now. Y’all remember the ole fumble-rooski back in the 1988 game? Just saying! Last week beat Maryland 63-0 / this week off.
6. Stanford (5-0) – Stanford got off to a big start returning the opening kickoff with Ty Montgomery going 99 yards for a TD. And that proved to be the difference in the game. I’m a little concerned about the Cardinal offense, as they passed for just 100 yards and had only 279 yards total in their close call against Washington. Watch out this week as a very good Utes team is waiting to upset Stanford. Last week beat Washington 31-28 / this week @ Utah.
7. Georgia (4-1) – Whew! Lucky dogs! Yes, luck is a part of the game. But driving down the field on the road for an overtime forcing score is not luck. Now, a suddenly huge game against the 5-0 Tigers from Missouri happens this week between the hedges. Last week beat Tennessee 34-31 OT / this week vs Missouri.
8. Texas A&M (4-1) – The Aggies had the week off to improve their offense or try and upgrade their defense. Whatever, you decide. Last season the Aggies should have lost to Ole Miss. Will they best tested by the struggling Rebels this week in Oxford? We shall see. Last week off / this week @ Ole Miss.
9. LSU (5-1) – The Tigers offense is the real deal. LSU has scored 40 or more points in four of their six wins this season. Now can the rising QB named Met lead the Tigers O to big numbers against the best defense in the mighty SEC? If so, you can book it that Mr. Mettenberger becomes closer to being a first round draft pick. And you can quote me on that one! Last week beat Mississippi State 59-26 / this week vs Florida.
10. UCLA (4-0) – Let’s face it, if the Bruins keep on winning, they will pass Louisville and see them in the rear view mirror. UCLA has become a very good offensive team with one of the top five offenses in all of CFB. Sophomore QB Brett Hundley has gotten better each week and he could become one of the top players in the Pac-12 this season. Last week beat Utah 34-27 / this week vs Cal.