Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Big Chief's College Football Top 10 week #9
by Deke Bellavia,posted Oct 22 2012 6:58AM
The third Saturday in October produced some good information. First, we still know that Alabama is the most complete team in the country. Second, Florida is for real. Third, South Carolina is not. Fourth Kansas State is the best team in the Big XII, bar none.
This week we find out if Notre Dame is a legit BCS Title contender. If you want to win in the SEC, all you need is a great defense or Cam Newton. Just ask Bama, LSU Florida or Auburn! Let's take a look at my CFB top ten going into the 9th week of the season.
1. Alabama (7-0) - Man QB A.J. McCarron looked real hurt to me. After all he did throw just four TD passes in the Tide's big road win over Tennessee. WR Amari Cooper has become one of the top WR's for McCarron as he hauled in 7 grabs for 162-yards. If the rest of the field in CFB does not already know, here's how you beat Bama. You have to play your best, and Alabama has to play very badly in order for you to win. The truth hurts doesn't it? Last week beat Tennessee 44-13 / this week vs Mississippi State.
2. Oregon (7-0) - Don't let the 43-21 score fool you, the Ducks were ahead 43-7 before the Sun Devils could blink. Oregon still looks like the class of the Pac 12, but two big tests loom with dates against the Men of Troy and rival OSU - who is ready for this year's version of the Civil War. Last beat Arizona State 43-21 / this week vs Colorado.
3. Kansas State (7-0) - These Wildcats are good. QB Collin Klien is the front runner for the Heisman, and Coach Bill Snyder is the coach of the year. Come on folks give this team their props! They have won big on the road, they have won big at home. The Wildcats could be a legit BCS Title opponent for any team. I'm serious ya'll! Last week beat West Virginia 55-14 / this week vs Texas Tech.
4. Florida (7-0) - QB Jeff Driskel tossed four TD passes in the Gators' romp over the Gamecocks. How weak is the SEC East? Can anyone in the West lock up their division this weekend? No! But Florida can win the East with a win over the Dogs in the world's largest cocktail party! Last week beat South Carolina 44-11 / this week vs Georgia.
5. Notre Dame (7-0) - Notre Dame got by the Cougars but could be in trouble this week in Norman against a red hot Sooners Team. Coach Brian Kelly has done a great job, but the system tells us he does not have the horses to keep up with OU this weekend. Last week beat BYU 17-14 / this week @ Oklahoma.
6. LSU (7-1) - The Tigers O-line again dominated their foe with a hard core effort in the Bengals win over the Aggies. This team is flagged way too many times, they can't score in the red zone and their QB is struggling. So what!?! LSU has a salty defense, the best freshman RB in CFB and they are one win away from taking control in the powerful SEC West. Hey Mad Hatter, you better have your boys ready in two weeks... because your fans say you owe them for what went down in January. I'm just sayin'! Last week beat Texas A&M 24-19 / this week off - vs. Alabama Nov. 3.
7. Oregon State (5-0) - The Beavers took care of the Utah Utes and now hit the road for what looks to be a tough one against the Huskies of UW. Last week beat Utah 21-7 / this week @ Washington.
8. Mississippi State (7-0) - Any SEC Team that wins seven straight is a top ten team in my book. Now the main question is, how far will the Bulldogs climb IF they shock the world and win in Tuscaloosa? Last week beat Middle Tennessee 45-3 / this week @ Alabama.
9. Oklahoma (5-1) - The Sooners destroyed Kansas 52-7, as QB Landry J threw for 291 yards and three scores. Now the Sooners will get up to take on Notre Dame. I wonder how Coach Stoops will be able to get his team fired up for this one? I mean it's not like any of his players were alive the last time Notre Dame was worth a dam! Last week beat Kansas 51-7 / this week vs Notre Dame.
10. Georgia (6-1) - I could really rank a few teams here... but Florida State is over rated, Ohio State is not very good and USC will have to beat Oregon to make me a believer. So I'll stay in the SEC and go with the Dogs. Even though Georgia looked horrible in a 29-24 win over the Wildcats, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were looking ahead to this week's game against rival Florida. I had to say something right? Last week beat Kentucky 29-24 / this week @ Florida in Jacksonville.