Things are getting real sticky now as another top ten team went down this week, as we say goodbye to the Clemson Tigers (for now,) as well as the KSU Wildcats. Oklahoma State will be number two next week with a win over Kansas State after the two top-ranked teams square off in Tuscaloosa. Now the football world will watch giants LSU and Alabama battle. Things are shaping up nicely for a two-step Tiger Tide tangle down in the Big Easy! Man isn’t this fun to watch?
1. Alabama (8-0) – Alabama is well-rested, and now the biggest game the SEC has seen in a very long time takes place in historic Bryant Deny Stadium as the Bayou Bengals come to town. Last week off / this week vs LSU.
2. LSU (8-0) – Did Coach Miles come up with a trick to treat the Tide with during his week off? Miles is savoring the moment when he can use one of those “Mad Hatter” specials. The Tigers must be on the plus side of the turnover battle to knock off ‘Bama. Last week off / this week @ Alabama.
3. Oklahoma State (8-0) – The Cowboys defense forced five turnovers and their offense piled up 59 points against Baylor. Quarterback Brandon Weeden and wide receiver Justin Blackmon are the best QB-to-WR combo in the country. Blackmon had 13 grabs for 172 yards and RB Joe Randle went off again with 152 yads and 4 TD’s. If the Cowboys win out, they will be in New Orleans come the second week in January. I don’t think many teams can slow this team down! Last week beat Baylor 59-24 / this week vs Kansas State.
4. Stanford (8-0) – The Cardinal led the once Mighty Men of Troy 10-6 at halftime before falling behind twice in the second half. Andrew Luck was money as his Stanford crew scored forty-six in the second half and won in triple OT! Last week beat USC 56-48 / this week @ Oregon State.
5. Boise State (7-0) – To Boise, the NCAA means No Chance At All. Boise won’t even get a shot over a one loss-conference champion, and you all know it. But that does not mean they aren’t good. If these Broncos get a shot at the title, I’m betting they will play hard and make a game of it. Last week off / this week vs UNLV.
6. Oregon (7-1) – The Ducks gave up a lot of yards and points to a weak Washington State team. We will find out how good these Ducks are the next three weeks with games @ UW, Stanford and back at home against USC. Win those, and quacks will be heard all over the country…Maybe as far south as New Orleans! Last week beat Washington State 43-28 / this week @ Washington.
7. Arkansas (7-1) – What has happened to the once sound Hogs defense? The Doors of Nashville racked up 462 yards, and if the Vandy defense could catch the ball they would have easily won this game. Now the Hogs get the Gamecocks in a big one this weekend! Last week beat Vanderbilt 31-28 / this week vs South Carolina.
8. Oklahoma (7-1) – The Sooners got 620 yards of total offense as QB Landry Jones set a school record with 505-yards passing and five TD’s. The Sooners need to have others ahead of them lose and then knock off rival Oklahoma State at the end of the regular season to have any shot at the BCS Title Game. Last week beat Kansas State 58-17/ this week vs Texas A&M.
9. Nebraska (7-1) -The Huskers are back in my Top Ten after a dominating win over Michigan State. The Huskers are still alive for everything and if they win out and the right teams lose, who knows? First things first, though: Take care of a decent Northwestern team before trips to Joe Pa Land and the Big House that make the next three weeks very tough for these Huskers. Last week beat Michigan State 24-3 / this week vs Northwestern.
10. South Carolina (7-1) - The Gamecocks are still rolling even without the services of Marcus Lattimore. If Coach Visor and his club run the table they will still be in the hunt for the game’s biggest prize! With that said, a loss this week to the Hogs will cancel any BCS Title hopes, but SC will still be alive for the SEC East title. Last week beat Tennessee / this week @ Arkansas.