Co-Host of WWL's "SportsTalk with Bobby Hebert & Deke Bellavia," Weekdays 4-8PM
Big Chief's CFB TOP 10 - Week #14
by Deke Bellavia, email@example.com, @dekebigchief,posted Dec 3 2013 10:28AM
One second and three yards were the difference last weekend in the ability of two teams to survive. In Ann Arbor Michigan's failed two point conversion allowed the Poisonus Nuts to run their win total to 24 straight games.
While on the Plains, the one second Little Nicky begged for, cost him a shot at a national title. Like they say...be careful what you wish for because you just might get it! Now, the most unlikely two teams battle for the SEC Title. The Buckeyes have their hands full this week against those smarten Spartans. And the Noles look like they'll have an easy time in the ACC Title Game.
Last week I told you there's a lot of football left to be played. With only one week left there still is. Any slip ups this week and we'll be talking about the best "one loss" teams in the national title...and that conversation will be a damn good one!
Here is my Top 10 for this week:
1. Florida State - (12-0) – Win and you're in the BCS Title Game. It's only fitting that the team that was in the first three BCS Title Games makes their fourth and final appearance. Last week Florida State beat Florida 37-7 / this week vs Duke in ACC Title Game.
2. Ohio State (12-0) – Man, had their rivals made that two point conversion, we'd be talking about another possible all SEC BCS Title Game. But, "if...ifs and buts...were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas. You can say what you want about the Buckeyes and their weak schedule, but I don't know another team that has won 24 straight games. Do you? Hell no! Last week Ohio State beat Michigan 42-41 / this week vs Michigan State.
3. Auburn Tigers (11-1) – Auburn had one hell of a season. And now with one more win and some help from the Spartans, the Tigers could get back to the BCS Title Game for the second time in four years. Not Bad! Last week Auburn beat Alabama 34-28 / this week vs Missouri in SEC Title Game.
4. Missouri Tigers (11-1) – Hey, this team is still alive in the BCS Title Game hunt. A win over Auburn and a loss by either FSU or Ohio State and this team DESERVES to be in. Yes, over ALABAMA! Last week Missouri beat Texas A&M / this week vs Auburn in SEC Title Game.
5. Alabama (11-1) – Even the greatest coaches mess up! The only play in football that has the least amount of athletes on the field is a long field goal attempt. High risk, high reward. Last week ‘Bamalost to Auburn 34-28 / this week crying!
6. Michigan State (11-1) – It's a shame because even if the Spartans beat Ohio State, it won't be enough for them to land in the BCS Title Game. This would be a great year for that new playoff format that starts next season! Last week Michigan State beat Minnesota 21-3 / this week vs Ohio State in Big Ten Title Game.
7. Oklahoma State Cowboys (10-1) – The Pokes can lock up the Big XII Title with a win over rival Oklahoma this weekend. Last week Oklahoma State beat Baylor 48-10 / next vs Oklahoma on Dec 7th.
8. South Carolina Gamecocks (10-2) – The Gamecocks beat their rivals, but did not get the help from Johnny Football. Oh well, at least the Gamecocks had another 10 win season! Last week South Carolina beat Clemson 31-17 / next bowl game.
9. Baylor Bears (10-1) – The Big XII Title is on the line for a few teams this weekend and Baylor is one of them...so is the team they're playing. Man, this is a big weekend in the conference that doesn't even have 12 teams! Last week Baylor beat TCU 41-38 / this week vs Texas.
10. Stanford Cardinal (10-2) – The Cardinal team is in the Pac 12 Title Game and will take on the red hot Devils from the desert. Another trip to the Rose Bowl is just fine with the folks from Palo Alto! Last week Stanford beat Notre Dame 27-20 / this week vs Arizona State in Pac 12 Title Game.